Monday, October 24, 2011

Book Folding

I must say, my favorite material thing is a good book and my favorite art technique is origami.  You can imagine how I felt when I discovered something that combines the two: book folding!


How I discovered this, I honestly can't remember - although I'm sure it involved searching the web for inspiration and instead stumbling upon my new hobby.


The neat thing about book folding is that the finished result is a piece of art that can be used in decorating and as a conversation piece.  If you are going to make one for a book lover though, make sure it's from a book they've read - imagine the horror of having an unread book laying around!



There are not many tutorials showing people how to do this online, so a lot of this I had to figure out myself.  I'm still not sure how others even begin to do the more elaborate designs, some of which include shapes and words.  If I ever discover the secret I can just imagine what I would be creating... lightening bolt shapes from Harry Potter books, the Mockingjay symbol from the Hunger Games, and, if I got really good, a horse for Black Beauty.


This was folded from Star Trek The Lost Years by J.M. Dillard.  I have made several different styles of books (more pictures of those are yet to come.)  I haven't put any in my Etsy shop yet, because I have not determined shipping, but I hope to do so soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I love to hear from my readers:
*Thoughts related to the post
*Thoughts not related to the post
*Grammatical corrections (if you see I used "your" the wrong way, please, feel free to go Grammar Nazi on me!)
*Books, music, and movie suggestions
*Offers of a lifetime supply of origami paper
*Doctor Who rants